Sunday, August 21, 2011

Giving Back

When I started my etsy shop - I knew I wanted it to be something more than just an outlet of selling something that I made... I wanted to make some sort of difference in the world around me - whether it be incorporating recycled / upcycled - or sending a positive message out to those around me. I decided that the LEAST I can do is share some of the beautiful quotes that have inspired me over the years... (Do people like to read inspirational quotes as much as I do? They helped me get through so much as a young naive adolescent.) Quotes and poems have so much to share - as long as we're open to receive them...

When I designed the first flyer to be printed for my shop, I was sure that it would be a 2 sided job - but instead of turning the back side into a mailer (which is always good promo), I wanted to dedicate that back side to something bigger... I found the words to Akuppa's Shambhala Warrior - (which was something I randomly came across on the internet many years ago) and I really wanted to share it with others and put it on my flyer - but I didn't want to just stick it on there without getting the author's permission - but I had no idea who Akuppa was...(turns out he is a buddhist monk & author from the UK). and after some internet sleuthing, I found his profile on flickr.com! When I contacted him and asked him if I could use his text - he was so kind and willing to help. It is (up to this day) - one of my favorite text to be
inspired by...




Then I made some simple business cards with my etsy shop link on it... On the back side I put a really simple quote (another one of my faves - "follow your bliss"—by Joseph Campbell - and at the bottom I placed the url to his organization). Because it is fantastic - and I hope more people will check it out.





Funds were kind of tight for a while after that - so I didn't print much for about a year... but I finally saved a little bit :) The newest item I printed is this square sticker in black and white:




I'll include these stickers with every order that ships out of my etsy shop (while supplies last).

I have lots more planned as far as these things go... One of these days, I would love to print the DESIDERATA in its entirety... but I need to figure out how and where I'm going to do that since its rather long :P But I'm also considering changing the purpose of my shop to give 50% of all my final sales to a different cause each month(s)... just some ideas I'm running through my head.

What are some of your favorite inspirational words and texts? Do you have any suggestions on what you think would be great to see printed out on a sticker or a button pin?

I hope you guys are having a fun weekend :)

-----------------------------------


"The mind has to be empty to see clearly."
—Jiddu Krishnamurti



No comments: